[LA.pm] Tech. Meeting Nov 8th @ Rent.com

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Mon Oct 29 11:00:30 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 10:48:42AM -0700, Ben Tilly wrote:
> On 10/29/07, David Fetter <david at fetter.org> wrote:
> >
> > OpenOffice has decent presentation software, and if you have a Mac
> > available, Keynote is fantastic, even though it's neither Free nor
> > free.  Anybody got thumbs up/down on koffice's offering?
>
> I'm not interested in spending $79 on iWork for one presentation.
> And yes, I know that I could use the 30 day free trial, but I still
> don't want to do it.  It just feels dishonest.

It's well worth the price if you plan to do presentations in the
future.

> OpenOffice is possible.  But I just tried it.  I tried to create a
> simple page and add a table.  (A complex 4x4 table will be key to my
> presentation.)  After 10 minutes of messing around, I realize that it
> will drive me crazy.  I'm sure that if I had to give a lot of
> presentations I'd learn the software and find it very useful.

This is part of what makes Keynote worth the price.  Constructing a
slide deck is dead easy, and the help system is really helpful.  The
killer feature from my point of view is the "presenter display,"
which, as far as I know, is unique to Keynote.

> But for one time, it would literally be easier to produce it myself
> in HTML.

In that case, try S5.

Cheers,
David.