[LA.pm] Tech. Meeting Nov 8th @ Rent.com

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Mon Oct 29 08:30:35 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 08:03:26AM -0700, Ben Tilly wrote:
> On 10/28/07, Quinn Weaver <quinn at fairpath.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 12:25:10PM -0700, Ben Tilly wrote:
> >
> > > I don't have anything prepared, but I've helped on A/B testing at
> > > multiple companies, including Rent.  Would the ins and outs of how to
> > > do A/B testing be useful to people?
> >
> > I'm remotely interested.
> >
> > That is, I'm remote (located in San Francisco) and highly
> > interested. :)
> >
> > If you give this talk, would you please consider making slides
> > available?
>
> Ah.  That presumes 3 things not at present true.
>
> 1. I have somewhere to put said slides.
> 2. I have slides to put.
> 3. I have the ability to give the presentation.
>
> Having never given one of these before, I have no computer to give
> the presentation with (I assume Rent can provide one), no
> slide-preparing software (I'm hoping someone will suggest one),

OpenOffice has decent presentation software, and if you have a Mac
available, Keynote is fantastic, even though it's neither Free nor
free.  Anybody got thumbs up/down on koffice's offering?

Is there space on http://losangeles.pm.org ?

> I am, in short, singularly ill-prepared and hopeful of assistance.
> :-)

"Ill-prepared" is what happens when you show up for the talk without
having prepared.  What you're doing now is called "preparing well." :)

> Assuming all of those change, I'm hoping to prepare slides on my
> wife's computer, put them up at the donated home, and give a
> presentation on the borrowed computer off of that location.  And
> I'll gladly let everyone know where the presentation is afterwards.
>
> Cheers, Ben

I don't think I'll be able to get down from Oakland for this one.
Break a leg, as they say in show biz. :)

Cheers,
David
--
David Fetter <david at fetter.org> http://fetter.org/