[LA.pm] About last night's meeting

Juan Jose Natera naterajj at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 13:30:22 PDT 2007

Hello all,

We want everybody to join us in thanking Randal Schwartz for another
great presentation, if you missed it or if you arrived late, he began
his talk with an overview of Class::DBI, and why you shouldn't be
using it if you're considering to use an ORM, and then he followed it
with a very nice introduction to Rose::DB::Object. Judging by the Q&A
afterwards It really engaged those attending the meeting.

Randal was the main reason there was such great attendance, we counted
over 40 people!, including fellow mongers from OC.pm and
ThousandOaks.pm.

We also want to thank last night's host Rent.com, including Alain, Matt,
and the rest of the very helpful crew at Rent.com.

Moving forward, we have been doing our best to find speakers for
future technicals meetings, we have made contact with various people
but we still need all the help we can get, if you have command of a
particular topic and would like to give a presentation about it,
please let us now and we can schedule something!

On the other hand, if there are any topics that you want to see
discussed at one of our meetings please say so and we will make it
happen!

One of the ideas tossed around, that was also brought up last night was
to do a meeting with lighting talks, short 5 - 10 minutes
presentations demonstrating something cool. For more information about
what it takes do to lighting talks, please visit this link:
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/07/30/lightningtalk.html . Let us know
what you think of this idea.

A couple of reminders:

* Remember to participate in the 2007 Perl Survey: http://perlsurvery.org

* Tomorrow, Sat. 18th of August is Parrot New Contributor Day, if you
want to get
involved in the future of Perl, this is a great way to get started,
get more information here:
http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/parrot_new_contributor_day_thi.html

The LA.pm team
Alyson Taylor