[LA.pm] Next step for a newbie

Todd Cranston-Cuebas Todd.Cranston-Cuebas at Ticketmaster.com
Wed May 10 13:27:03 PDT 2006

As a recruiter who has specialized in perl people for many years, I agree
with Jeremiah. It's always best to have the fundamentals down and perhaps of
more importance is showing your own initiative.

As noted, you can work on your own project, but I'd encourage you to
consider making a contribution toward an existing open-source project. That
gives you a bit more "scaffolding" (i.e., support) since you can ask
questions from others already in the community of people supporting the
overall effort. Also, you get the chance to network and learn from others.
All are critical in your job search later.

I would also suggest being a bit "flexible" in your first job. If for
instance, you had the opportunity to support a larger development effort by
providing application-level support (and coding monitoring type systems,
etc.), it may be a good step toward learning what is necessary to enter the
actual software development group. It would also give you that rarest of
commodities... real world experience!

Regards,

Todd

Todd Cranston-Cuebas
Senior Technical Recruiter, Ticketmaster
http://www.ticketmaster.com/
tcc at ticketmaster.com
Phone: 310-360-2436
Mobile: 310-422-3347