[LA.pm] Next step for a newbie

Ron Smith geeksatlarge at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 13:43:11 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I need advice on my next move. I'm relatively new to
Perl and programming in  general but have written a
few useful programs, over the past year or so, that
actually have been used on the job.

I'd like to make a career change to full-time
programming but need advice on what areas I need to
focus on in order to land an entry-level position.
Mainly, I'd like to know what skill-level I should be
at and what's usually expected by an employer. Working
with web pages seems to be the most fun to me but I'll
take on any project offered.

Right now I'm in formal classes for Perl, Java, C/C++
and the rest. Also, I was wondering how critical a
degree is for programming or is it possible to get
started while you're working toward an AS/BS ...etc?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Ron Smith
geeksatlarge at yahoo.com