[LA.pm] Tech Topic Suggestion: Frameworks

Todd Cranston-Cuebas Todd.Cranston-Cuebas at Ticketmaster.com
Fri Jan 20 11:19:03 PST 2006

Is anyone interested in discussing some of the existing and new perl
frameworks and perhaps comparing them to something like Ruby on Rails? I'm
interested because I'm always thinking about the learning curve for people
entering the land of perl.

As Ruby as shown, sometimes a framework provides just enough scaffolding for
newbies to get over the learning hump into developing something productive.
>From there, their skills in the language itself grow. My guess is that a lot
of you started out developing with perl in the early perl cgi days when perl
was really one of the only ways to go about web work. While perl cgi still
exists, many new engineers are not necessarily leaping to perl as their
first introduction to web engineering. They're using perl and a lot of the
other "contenters" including PHP, Ruby, and even Java.

Would a framework talk be interesting? I know a lot of hard-core perl people
dislike frameworks, but they are a market reality.

Todd