[LA.pm] Fwd: hollywood.pm.org

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin+lapm at scaldeferri.com
Thu Feb 2 08:36:01 PST 2006

On Feb 2, 2006, at 2:52 AM, Allen Day wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Todd Cranston-Cuebas wrote:
>
>> I find this whole debate to be interesting. As many of you already
>> know,
>> Ticketmaster is based out of West Hollywood. One issue that has
>> repeatedly
>> come up when discussing using our location as a venue for events is
>> that
>> we're not easily accessible. Granted the commuting in-and-out on
>> surface
>> streets can be an issue, but I think there is a bigger problem. It is
>> simply
>> true that LA is big enough that it poses significant obstacles to
>> people
>> consistently attending certain events when you have to cross the
>> entire
>> length of a city of this size. For instance, I find any event in Santa
>> Monica to be totally inaccessible!
>
> I agree with this.  I commute between Culver City and Westwood, and
> sadly
> find the Hollywood meetings impossible to attend.  I have yet to
> attend a
> Linux Movies meeting after > 4 years of receiving announcements for
> them.

Personally, I find it a little mindboggling to see one person who works
in WeHo and can't make it to SM, and another basically vice-versa.  I
mean, that's what, 5 or 6 miles?  Hardly "the entire length of the
city".

Do folks realize that people used to come from *Irvine* to attend LAJUG
meetings in Pasadena?

It starts to sound like the problem is really that people aren't all
that interested in having a group (or that their interest isn't being
engaged), rather than that there is a problem with location.

I'm sorry to pick on people, and I hope you don't take it personally,
but I really think that the root problem isn't where the meetings are
or aren't located.

-kevin