[LA.pm] contrasting London and LA

Christian Bryant perl.monger at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 10:29:14 PDT 2006

As a _user_ more than a programmer, I have to say that
over the last 15 years I've seen many usage arguments
for various languages.  I consider myself a Perl
monger as a user and integrator, certainly not a
programmer, and I'm personally excited to see Perl 6
(which, by the way, I believe is a mostly transparent
change when it comes to language features) start
reaching the production environment in major
companies.

I've worked with Java this last year on a level I'd
never had before in an online banking environment.
All our Configuration Management tasks are automated
and controlled by Perl.  All our applications are
J2EE.  I see that as perfect symbiosis.  Nobody ever
suggested we use Java for the CM tasks - well, I
explored the notion then discounted it due to detailed
requirements analysis.

What I would say in response to this anecdote is, if
detailed requirements were written and it was
determined that in fact Java was the most useful
language for their task, then great!  I don't believe
the availability of coders in a language has any part
in such a decision, though.  Never discount a language
as useful, either.  As a systems integrator, I see the
value of multiple languages at work every day.

- CB