[LA.pm] contrasting London and LA

Todd Cranston-Cuebas Todd.Cranston-Cuebas at Ticketmaster.com
Mon Aug 14 12:59:55 PDT 2006

While perl is very popular in LA, we should note that I'm hearing that perl
is being supplanted in a number of industries by languages like Python. For
example, python used more and more for movie industry "pipelining"
applications where images are pipelined through image processors until they
are then consolidated again for the final production. I've heard that this
industry was mostly perl and now may be as much 50/50 perl/python. The perl
foundation has to take this type of a shift seriously. I think each engineer
thinks in terms of their own, individual needs (which is understandable),
but the perl foundation needs to see perl in the context of a changing
industry. I know that they are and do take these points seriously. I
recently met with two perl foundation members to discuss this very point.

I only mentioned ruby on rails in an earlier post since many people "stick"
with the language that scratched their earliest itches. This was clearly the
case for many PHP people. If perl is the language of choice only for ad-hoc
automation scripts or large-scale, complex solutions on the other extreme,
then you run the risk of having your potential "new blood" siphoned off by
other technologies that allow for the building of modest, but complete
solutions with lower learning curves. All groups/organizations/entities need
to think in terms of the overall "health" of the community (e.g.,
maintaining a flow of new members, satisfying the needs of existing members,
etc.).

Todd