[LA.pm] contrasting London and LA

Peter Scott Peter at PSDT.com
Mon Aug 14 10:22:58 PDT 2006

At 09:02 AM 8/14/2006, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > As far as engineers in the UK go, the visa issues making things tough, but
> > when the next allotment of visas are available next year (We can apply in
> > April, 07), I'd love to talk to UK engineers!
>
>The US Technology industry thinks that it's unlikely to be able to
>successfully lobby the government to change this?

The ITAA has some powerful opponents.  The AFL-CIO (eq TUC) for one, I
assume, but there is also opposition in the senate from, e.g., Chris
Dodd.  Numerous federal bills have been proposed limiting offshoring,
all of them shot down or watered down in some way, but H1-Bs have been
caught in the crossfire and several similar statewide bills have
passed.  Public sentiment in the US is somewhat, um, xenophobic at the
moment, and the politicos are pandering to the popular vote.  Plus, the
immigration department is in disarray due to reorganization and
backlogs caused by far stricter applicant checking requirements.
--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies