[LA.pm] contrasting London and LA

Todd Cranston-Cuebas Todd.Cranston-Cuebas at Ticketmaster.com
Mon Aug 14 08:41:56 PDT 2006

David,

Wanted to point out that while Ticketmaster and Citysearch are both IAC
companies (owned by InterActiveCorp), the relationship really isn't
Citysearch == Ticketmaster. At one point, that was much closer to being
true, but for many years now, the two companies act independently in just
about every way short of certain cross-promotion agreements. In fact, it is
my understanding that Citysearch is now doing more Java development, but
honestly, I'd need someone from that team to clarify the situation.

In terms of market forces, I think that there are a number of issues worth
discussing. I hope that the local demand for perl engineers is enough to
cause the much needed market shift (i.e., more people in the States learning
perl on a very deep level). I'm concerned that other forces may counteract
this adjustment including the fact that schools in the States push Java,
python is becoming more popular as a general purpose scripting language, and
other languages and frameworks (e.g., Ruby on Rails) are taking up the "I
want to build a simple web site" position.

As far as engineers in the UK go, the visa issues making things tough, but
when the next allotment of visas are available next year (We can apply in
April, 07), I'd love to talk to UK engineers!

Todd
tcc at ticketmaster.com