[LA.pm] contrasting London and LA

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Sat Aug 12 11:30:18 PDT 2006

On Aug 12, 2006, at 10:27, Robert Spier wrote:

>> Well, Citysearch == Ticketmaster (and many other brands.)
>
> This is not true, and has not been true for many years.
>
> When I left, the companies shared a parent company and some corporate
> IT infrastructure (i.e. Exchange Servers and a few other things).
> That's pretty much it.

They share the Peets Coffee under the Citysearch office as
well.  :-)   Despite what whois says they are neighbors across the
street on Sunset Blvd.

On the original subject: <strike>Overture</strike> Yahoo Search
Marketing is in Burbank and of course Google in Santa Monica have
suckered a few people to come work there (even if they aren't much of
a Perl shop).

My impression is that it's much more common to use LAMP-stuff for
building web things here than than in Europe (and the rest of the
world, maybe with the exception of Japan).

Maybe the bigger "local" market makes it easier to get forced away
from Windows systems?

  - ask

--
http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/