[LA.pm] (job posting) Shopzilla (formerly BizRate.com)

David Pisoni dpisoni at shopzilla.com
Mon Sep 12 10:39:10 PDT 2005

Hello,

Robert has (again) benevolently granted me permission to post my open
positions to the list.

Shopzilla (known to many of you as BizRate.com) <http://
www.shopzilla.com> is hiring developers and architects to the Web
Engineering and Search groups.  I am the Director of Web Engineering
(read, I am not a recruiter nor a PHB.)  Our department is
responsible for the entire middle-tier of web applications, and all
of our code is perl/Apache/mod_perl.  The search group has a mix of
different functions and disciplines, their positions are also listed
below. We're looking for sharp perl engineers and architects to help
us produce quality, cutting-edge web applications.

I'll include the standard copy of our postings once, and break out
the open position levels' requirements/descriptions separately.  Note
that some of these postings have multiple openings with the same
qualifications.

Please email me at dpisoni at shopzilla dot com if you are interested
or have questions.

Enjoy,

David Pisoni
dpisoni at shopzilla dot com
Director, Web Engineering
Shopzilla, Inc. <http://www.shopzilla.com/>

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
-Will Durant, historian (1885-1981)

---------------

Common copy:

Shopzilla, formerly BizRate.com, is a leading shopping search engine
on the Web. With an index of over 30 million products from more than
50,000 stores, gathered, organized and presented using all
proprietary leading-edge technology, Shopzilla provides consumers the
best way to find virtually anything for sale, anywhere, and at the
best price. In addition to our flagship site(http://
www.shopzilla.com), Shopzilla also powers shopping search for many of
the Web's largest consumer sites including AOL, Lycos, Time Warner's
RoadRunner, and many others. The company is privately held,
profitable and based in West Los Angeles.  At Shopzilla, our goal is
to build the greatest shopping service ever conceived by mankind. To
that end, we strive very hard to hire the smartest people. We're an
environment where great ideas shape our vision and true passion
drives us to the best solutions to the most challenging problems at
the intersection of shopping and search.  If that sounds like
something you'd like to be involved in, please read on.

Shopzilla offers great benefits including medical, dental and vision
plans, life insurance, 401(k) plan, flexible spending account,
generous vacation benefits -- and we even provide FREE catered lunch
every single day!  So, if you are the super-star type -- the one all
look to as the smartest in your area of expertise -- love challenging
yourself, and are searching for a place to work where people care,
your ideas matter and you can make a real difference to helping
millions of consumers, then we need to talk. Shopzilla is an Equal
Opportunity Employer.

Positions:
Sr. Software Engineer, Web Engineering:

As our Sr. Software Engineer, you will:

     •     Develop core technology, including the design/architecture
of new solutions, the refinement of existing code, and the
optimization of dynamic web content.
     •     Work with production team to fulfill requests in the
project queue, assessing impact and involving the data systems and
network operations team when necessary
     •     Write design specifications, programming specifications,
and documentation
     •     Develop and maintain web applications written in Object
Oriented perl, operating on a Linux/Apache/mod_perl platform.
     •     Develop systems and API's for interfacing with open and
proprietary network services and complex business logic/algorithms.
     •     Develop systems and API's for interfacing with partner
companies and trading partners.

Your qualifications include:
     •     6+ years of experience in software engineering, OOD/OOA/OOP
     •     4+ years of Perl Development
     •     mod_perl, Apache, XML, HTML, and Unix skills
     •     Strong software architecture skills (UML a plus)
     •     Balancing short-term requests with long-term product
vision is required
     •     Experience working with others, both developers and non-
technical people during the analysis, design, and execution phases of
an engineering project is required
     •     Experience with source control systems, CVS or Subversion
a plus
     •     Ability to learn and contribute quickly and work
independently
     •     Creativity and effective written and verbal communications
are essential
     •     Candidates for this position should enjoy web based
applications development, including gathering requirements and
feedback from internal customers, and providing suggestions

Software Architect, Web Engineering:

As our Software Architect, you will:

     •     Develop core technology, including the design/architecture
of new solutions and the refactoring and refinement of existing systems.
     •     Collaborate with product management staff in producing
project functional specification, including feasibility assessments,
engineering time estimates and strategic value assessments.
     •     Produce design documents from functional specifications.
Design documents contain high-level architectural direction and
planning that engineers use in implementing software projects.
     •     Contribute to engineering implementation process in a
mentoring role. Occasionally act as implementation engineer.
     •     Participate with Web Engineering management in steering
future direction of Web Engineering projects.
  Your qualifications include:
     •     8+ years of experience in software engineering, OOD/OOA/OOP
     •     Perl/mod_perl, Apache, XML, HTML and Unix skills
     •     Skilled in structured application design demonstrated by
the ability to clearly translate business requirements into a system
design
     •     Ability to formally communicate architectural designs and
plans (UML a plus)
     •     Domain experience in n-tier web application development;
working experience with web and networking protocols and concepts
     •     Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
     •     Experience working with others, both developers and
project/business owners during the analysis, design, and execution
phases of an engineering project is required.
     •     Ability to mentor individuals and interact as a member of
an engineering team

Software Engineer, Search Operations:

As a member of this team, you will:
·       Share responsibility and ownership of Shopzilla.Inc’s search
team’s backend tools and data flows.
·       Design and develop critical data flows feeding directly into
the core search engine and external tools.
·       Interact with the search analytics and operations teams and
generate information.
·       Work closely with the operations team to diagnose and provide
solutions to issues arising on production service.
Qualifications:
       •  BS CS or equivalent required, MS CS preferred.
5+ years experience with Perl development on Unix and/or Linux
platforms.
Experience with Sybase ASE databases and knowledge of SQL is a plus.
Strong Object Oriented Programming skills highly desirable
Highly motivated person willing to work in fast-paced environment.