[LA.pm] (job posting) Shopzilla (formerly BizRate.com)

David Pisoni dpisoni at shopzilla.com
Tue May 3 16:50:39 PDT 2005

Hello,

Robert has benevolently granted me permission to post my open positions
to the list.

Shopzilla (known to many of you as BizRate.com)
<http://www.shopzilla.com> is hiring developers and architects to the
Web Engineering group.  I am the Director of Web Engineering and the
hiring manager for the Sr. Software Engineer and Software Architect
positions (read, I am not a recruiter nor a PHB.)  Our department is
responsible for the entire middle-tier of web applications, and all of
our code is perl/Apache/mod_perl.  We're looking for sharp perl
engineers and architects to help us produce quality, cutting-edge web
applications.

I'll include the standard copy of our postings once, and break out the
3 open position levels' requirements/descriptions separately.

Please email me at dpisoni at shopzilla dot com if you are interested
or have questions.  Also, I will be at the meeting tomorrow
night – feel free to approach me then if you have questions or wish to
apply.  (Though if you don't bring it up there, I probably won't
either.)

Enjoy,

David Pisoni
dpisoni at shopzilla.com
Director, Web Engineering
Shopzilla, Inc. <http://www.shopzilla.com/>

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."
-Will Durant, historian (1885-1981)

---------------

Common copy:

Shopzilla, formerly BizRate.com, is a leading shopping search engine on
the Web. With an index of over 30 million products from more than
50,000 stores, gathered, organized and presented using all proprietary
leading-edge technology, Shopzilla provides consumers the best way to
find virtually anything for sale, anywhere, and at the best price. In
addition to our flagship site(http://www.shopzilla.com), Shopzilla also
powers shopping search for many of the Web's largest consumer sites
including AOL, Lycos, Time Warner's RoadRunner, and many others. The
company is privately held, profitable and based in West Los Angeles.
At Shopzilla, our goal is to build the greatest shopping service ever
conceived by mankind. To that end, we strive very hard to hire the
smartest people. We're an environment where great ideas shape our
vision and true passion drives us to the best solutions to the most
challenging problems at the intersection of shopping and search.  If
that sounds like something you'd like to be involved in, please read
on.

Shopzilla offers great benefits including medical, dental and vision
plans, life insurance, 401(k) plan, flexible spending account, generous
vacation benefits, a stock option plan -- and we even provide FREE
catered lunch every single day!  So, if you are the super-star type --
the one all look to as the smartest in your area of expertise -- love
challenging yourself, and are searching for a place to work where
people care, your ideas matter and you can make a real difference to
helping millions of consumers, then we need to talk. Shopzilla is an
Equal Opportunity Employer.

Positions:
Software Engineer:

As our Software Engineer, you will:
	• 	Develop core technology, including the design/architecture of new
solutions, the refinement of existing code, and the optimization of
dynamic web content within an object-oriented Perl/mod_perl/Apache
environment
	• 	Work with production team to fulfill requests in the release cycle,
assessing impact and involving the data systems and network operations
teams when necessary
	• 	Write design specifications, programming specifications, and
documentation
	• 	Develop and maintain web applications written in Object Oriented
perl, operating on a Linux/Apache/mod_perl platform.
	• 	Locate and fix bugs in the existing code base in a timely manner

Your qualifications include:
	• 	4+ years developing web-based systems using Perl (mod_perl,
object-oriented perl, not just perl scripting) running in a UNIX
environment required
	• 	mod_perl, Apache, XML, HTML, and Unix skills
	• 	Good software design skills and Object-oriented design practices
(UML a plus)
	• 	Balancing short-term requests with long-term product vision is
required
	• 	Very strong HTML skills, including multi-platform support, CSS, and
JavaScript
	• 	Experience with source control systems, CVS or Subversion a plus
	• 	Ability to learn and contribute quickly and work independently
	• 	Creativity and effective written and verbal communications are
essential

Sr. Software Engineer:

As our Sr. Software Engineer, you will:

	• 	Develop core technology, including the design/architecture of new
solutions, the refinement of existing code, and the optimization of
dynamic web content.
	• 	Work with production team to fulfill requests in the project queue,
assessing impact and involving the data systems and network operations
team when necessary
	• 	Write design specifications, programming specifications, and
documentation
	• 	Develop and maintain web applications written in Object Oriented
perl, operating on a Linux/Apache/mod_perl platform.
	• 	Develop systems and API's for interfacing with open and proprietary
network services and complex business logic/algorithms.
	• 	Develop systems and API's for interfacing with partner companies
and trading partners.

Your qualifications include:
	• 	6+ years of experience in software engineering, OOD/OOA/OOP
	• 	4+ years of Perl Development
	• 	mod_perl, Apache, XML, HTML, and Unix skills
	• 	Strong software architecture skills (UML a plus)
	• 	Balancing short-term requests with long-term product vision is
required
	• 	Experience working with others, both developers and non-technical
people during the analysis, design, and execution phases of an
engineering project is required
	• 	Experience with source control systems, CVS or Subversion a plus
	• 	Ability to learn and contribute quickly and work independently
	• 	Creativity and effective written and verbal communications are
essential
	• 	Candidates for this position should enjoy web based applications
development, including gathering requirements and feedback from
internal customers, and providing suggestions

Software Architect:

As our Software Architect, you will:

	• 	Develop core technology, including the design/architecture of new
solutions and the refactoring and refinement of existing systems.
	• 	Collaborate with product management staff in producing project
functional specification, including feasibility assessments,
engineering time estimates and strategic value assessments.
	• 	Produce design documents from functional specifications. Design
documents contain high-level architectural direction and planning that
engineers use in implementing software projects.
	• 	Contribute to engineering implementation process in a mentoring
role. Occasionally act as implementation engineer.
	• 	Participate with Web Engineering management in steering future
direction of Web Engineering projects.
  Your qualifications include:
	• 	8+ years of experience in software engineering, OOD/OOA/OOP
	• 	Perl/mod_perl, Apache, XML, HTML and Unix skills
	• 	Skilled in structured application design demonstrated by the
ability to clearly translate business requirements into a system design
	• 	Ability to formally communicate architectural designs and plans
(UML a plus)
	• 	Domain experience in n-tier web application development; working
experience with web and networking protocols and concepts
	• 	Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
	• 	Experience working with others, both developers and
project/business owners during the analysis, design, and execution
phases of an engineering project is required.
	• 	Ability to mentor individuals and interact as a member of an
engineering team