[LA.pm] perl cpu spike

David Crean david at manicelement.com
Tue Mar 1 08:06:16 PST 2005

We have a webserver running mandrake linux.  It's a pretty basic server
that gets respectable, but not mind-bending traffic.  We use coldfusion
development environment, and mssql server (housed on a different machine
in the same location).  This computer also runs some small time email
and handles some dns.  Two nights ago we had an issue, and while looking
into it we found that perl was running at 99% CPU for a good long time.
We don't really have anything that runs on perl, or uses perl.  The DNS
and webmin use it to some small degree, but nothing that could account
for this kind of spike.  Anyone experienced this before?

David