[LA.pm] Monitoring a directory using Event.pm

Terrence Brannon tbrannon at valueclick.com
Wed Jun 8 15:16:02 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:25 -0700, Ranga Nathan wrote:
> I have a need to run a script when a file is received into a directory via
> FTP.

one question: does FTP show the file when the write is complete or while
it is writing? There could be problems if you start processing a file
which is not completely written.

In former jobs, I trailed the intended upload with a small file
signalling that the intended file was complete. Alternatively, I would
rename the uploaded file to the file that the monitor process was
looking for once it was completely uploaded.