[LA.pm] January Meeting and flock question

Ofer Nave ofer at netapt.com
Tue Feb 1 19:32:08 PST 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Robert Spier wrote:

> > What happened to the January Meeting?
>
> Nobody suggested a cuisine.

Doh!  Was looking forward to it.  Still haven't been to a PM meet.

> > I'm writing a script that requires locking a file before writing to it,
> > and I decided to check CPAN to see if there are any goodies to take care
> > of this for me.  A search for 'flock' yielded:
>
> I would probably just use the flock builtin.  See perlfunc.

I've used it before, but was hoping for something... prettier.  :)

I settled on IO::LockedFile for now.  Seems to work.  I'll still use flock
if I have to do fancy stuff.

> > Anyone have any experience with any of the above, and want to recommend
> > one?  Incidentally, this is why I think a CPAN wiki would be neat.  :)
>
> Have you seen cpanratings.perl.org?

Yes, and it's a great idea, but I think a wiki would be complimentary, not
redundant.

-ofer