[LA.pm] This just in: Mark Jason Dominus has finished writing his new book, "Higher Order Perl" and it's going to his publisher

David Cohen cohen4 at mindspring.com
Mon May 17 06:27:44 CDT 2004

Extra, extra--read all about it: for those of you not on his book mailing
list, MJD has finished (and titled) his book on doing functional
programming in  Perl programming, "Higher Order Perl" which, in Hollywood
pitch-meeting lingo, might be described as the Wizard book meets the Llama
book, a story of how ivory tower functional-programming techniques were
smuggled out the pearly gates down into the Perl-y trenches...well, you get
the idea.

It was nice to see in the announcement that I got that some of our own
LA.pm'ers were credited with helping, such as Ben Tilly. But taking pride
of place was none other than our fearless leader, Robert Spier:

>Most of the work of the last few weeks has been writing tests to
>test the example code.  In this, I was assisted by Robert Spier.  I
>can't say enough good things about Robert.  He was amazingly diligent
>and thorough, cheerful, and a pleasure to work with.  I could not have
>done the testing without him, and without the testing the book would
>have been substantially worse.

Kudos to you, Robert.

In any case, it looks like the publisher, Morgan Kaufman, will be taking it
from here--should be out in October. And...when it's all done, the book
will also be freely available online--keep your eyes peeled.

For more info on MJD's book, and to sign up on his mailing list, look here:
http://perl.plover.com/book/
___
DC

P.S. For those of you wondering about SICP, aka the Wizard book, you can
download it in its entirety here: http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

P.P.S. If you're too lazy/busy to read the SICP book, watch Sussman and
Abelson give a 20-part lecture series on the material here for employees of
HP--download all the videos (in DivX, if you like) here:
http://swiss.csail.mit.edu/classes/6.001/abelson-sussman-lectures/

P.P.P.S. And, for those of you who've read this far, if you are interested
in seeing what the 21st century analog of Sussman and Abelson's book will
be, check this out:
http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/people/PVR/book.html

Sadly, now that MIT Press has published it, "Concepts, Techniques, and
Models of Computer Programming" the online draft is gone. Amazon has the
book for a few bucks off...or just read the reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0262220695/qid=1084790942/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-9162143-5796951?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

And this:
http://lambda.weblogs.com/discuss/msgReader$4393