[LA.pm] visiting LA

Robert Spier rspier at pobox.com
Sun Feb 29 22:13:56 CST 2004

(Putting on my unofficial leader hat....)

Lets tentatively target Tue, March 9th, so we can get both Geoffrey and
Sue there.

I'd be interested in hearing "Why mod_perl 2.0
(?:sucks|rules)".... (although there's a catch I'll mail Geoff about
privately.)

here's the summary:

Have you tried working with mod_perl 2.0 yet? Ugh. With all those new
classes and directives to learn, not to mention the list of incomplete
features, you might as well stay with the trusty, stable mod_perl of
old. And subroutine attributes? Eesh.

Of course, the new 2.0 API does let you do fun stuff like write output
filters. Oh, and there's the Apache::Test framework that's pretty
cool. Not to mention a method called assbackwards().

This brief, fun talk will introduce mod_perl 2.0 by poking fun at its
shortcomings as well as showcasing its promise.

As for location, we'll decide that soon -- after we decide the
content.... We've got two possibilities right now, rent.com in Santa
Monica and Citysearch in Koreatown.  I think the latter is generally
easier to get to - but I'm biased.

What some other groups have done, is done a talk and then reconvene at
a local restaurant... but that may have timing issues.

We could also do something like order pizza (from a good place like
Vito's http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/56961) and have it
delivered... but that can be a logistical mess too.

Comments please!

Things we need to know:

Would you, as the la.pm folk who might show up to this event....

 - prefer just a dinner with our out of town guests

 - prefer just a talk

 - prefer dinner and a talk

 - prefer Tue March 9...

 - prefer some other day