[LA.pm] Fwd: UUASC-OC January 2005 Program

Bill Gerrard bill at daze.net
Mon Dec 27 19:40:00 CST 2004

Forwarded per request...

Sounds like it will be a good meeting.

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: "Hershel Remer" <unixrabbi at rabbs.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:33:33 -0800 (PST)
Subj: UUASC-OC January 2005 Program

please share this with the OC-PM  ....  and even the LA-PM....  thanks!  :=)

                   UUASC-OC
Unix Users Association of Southern California
            Orange County Chapter
                January Meeting

        Web Scraping Without a Browser

           Monday, Jan. 10, 7-9 PM

            Sun Microsystems, Inc.
         2020 S. Main St. in Irvine
                  12th Floor

NOTE: Due to circumstances beyond our control, the Smoothwall demonstration
previously scheduled for January has been postponed. Instead ...

At the January meeting of UUASC-OC, UUASC's own Kenytt Avery, who presented
us a popular tutorial on avoiding poor Perl scripting in October 2004,
returns
to show us a variety of techniques for retrieving web pages and extracting
the
information they contain without opening a browser.

Kenytt's alternative methodology ranges from writing simple shell scripts
with
wget to building HTML parse trees in Perl.

Kenytt will explain what happens behind the scenes when we click the
"Submit"
button, and along the way, he'll demonstrate a number of Perl modules,
write a
web proxy server or two, explore the Google API, dip into a bit of Python
and
RSS, and reveal why a text-mode browser may be our best friend. Examples
will
include saving documents offline, checking for updated pages, and grabbing
popular news photos.

Kenytt taught computer science at CSUF until he realized that he was
spending
more time in front of a root prompt than in front of a white board. Since
then, he has been a programmer in a variety of languages (most of them
starting with the letter "P"), a UNIX sysadmin, a training manager, and a
consultant. He is looking for a job, so if you like his presentation you
should hire him.

POST-MEETING ACTIVITIES: Join us at the Pilsner Room, within walking
distance.

AFTER HOURS ACCESS: The Sun building's doors are locked at 7 p.m. If you
arrive late, please contact the guard at 949-372-2937 or 949-279-1539 for
access.

CARPOOL INFO: If you are interested in joining a carpool with other members,
please post an email to the general list, uuasc at uuasc.org , requesting
carpool
info.

PARKING: Convenient FREE parking is located next to the Sun office building
in
the visitor parking lot for after hours usage. Take a ticket when entering
the
garage but don't be concerned - no one will be there to collect money when
the
meeting ends, so you can exit for free.

DIRECTIONS: Exit the San Diego Freeway (I-405) at MacArthur, go north (away
from the airport) to the signal at Main Street (the first cross-street),
turn
right to Mercantile (the first signal on Main Street), turn right to
parking.
Please visit our web site, http://uuasc.org/oc.html , where you will find a
detailed map. Here's an ASCII version:

            |    Mercantile           | Gillette
            |         v               |
  Main -----+---------+---------------+-----------
            |         | ElTorito      |
            |         |               |
            |         | Sun           |
            |         \_______________/
            +--\     parking
  405 ======|=====================================
            |  \/
   Airport  +--/    (all intersections shown
            |        have signals (+))

The El Torito is on the corner and can serve as a landmark. The Pilsner Room
is at the other end of the same block, Gillette and Main. The Sun building
is
behind the one with El Torito. 949-833-1640.

UUASC-OC wants to thank our host, Sun Microsystems, for the continued
support
of our meetings.

The UUASC is for all persons using Unix either personally or professionally,
or interested in learning more about Unix. We recognize all varieties of
Unix,
including (without prejudice) HP/UX, Linux, SVr4, Solaris, AIX, and BSD.
This
is a good place to meet others with similar interests and broaden your
skills
and knowledge. Generally, meetings include a technical presentation on a
hardware or software topic of current interest to the Unix community and a
round-table discussion of current topics of interest to the group. We are
always looking for interesting presentations and your suggestions are most
welcome.

Please join us this month and bring along your friends or co-workers. Also,
please forward this announcement to others who may be interested and feel
free
to post it to wherever you wish, both electronically and physically. If you
receive more than one announcement by email, please let us know so we can
keep
our lists current.