[LA.pm] dinner thursday 11/20

Robert Spier rspier at pobox.com
Fri Nov 14 16:17:37 CST 2003

At Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:22:02 -0800,
Arkadiy wrote:

> What kinds of things do we need to bring for soldier(s), again? What is
> he/they lacking? I want it to be thoughtful :)

Here's what I wrote before:

  brian d foy, aka Perl Monger #1, (he was the founder), is a MP in
  the National Guard, or the US Army Reserve.  (Not sure which one.)
  He's currently stationed "somewhere in Iraq" until April.

  I'd like to ask that whenever we hold our next event, everyone bring
  "something" for him.  Suggestions include: books (fiction,
  non-fiction), dvd's, magazines, conference materials, anything from
  his Amazon wishlist
  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/registry/1VGWQEYUDRN9V/, or a Sat
  phone and lots of minutes.  (And no need to buy new things.. used is
  just fine.)

  I'll collect everything and ship it off to him.

  Arkadiy also "did some time", although he never got to leave the
  States.

  Please don't politicize this.  Whether or not you (or I) approve
  of/believe in what's going on over there is irrelevant to this.
  This is about making a cool guy's time over there a little better.

  For more information on brian d foy, you can check out his use.perl
  journal: http://use.perl.org/~brian_d_foy/journal/