[LA.pm] dinner thursday 11/20

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Thu Nov 13 10:53:57 CST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 08:32:30AM -0800, metaperl at urth.org said:
> I had to wipe my disk due to a virus, so I might have missed something.
>
> [1] Robert solicited proposals for a technical talk and I responded.
> What has become of this offer. There was some initial resistance by Ask
> on the grounds of difficulty finding a presentation forum. To this
> resistance two solutions were offered (1) a socio-technical talk by me
> and (2) a room at rent.com
>
> As far as I know, neither my talk nor the alternatives were rejected and
> it certainly was not put to public vote, which brings me to my second issue.

Not rejected - I would LOVE to hear somebody present a technical talk over
some good Italian food (which is the venue for next Thursday).

> [2] Is LA.pm a democratic organization? Do the members have any
> power/input into what happens where? As far as I can tell from this
> email, there was no process of discussion or generation of a general
> consensus on what happened when.

it's "whoever wants to do something, proposes it, and anybody who's available
and willing shows up". It's just that usually Robert or Ask are the ones who
get tired of doing nothing before the rest of us. :)

Really, we end up being more like a BoF or social gathering with technical
overtones than a technical conference that meets regularly (see
http://www.uuasc.org for something with more regularity). This suits me, but
as I said I'm delighted to listen to pretty much anyone hold forth on nearly
any technical topic in most any venue (doing it over food is even better,
IMO).

> [3] I have prepared the slides to my talk and am willing to rent a car
> if necessary to present them. Here are the completed slides:
>
> http://www.urth.org/~metaperl/domains/metaperl.com/talks/2003/november/TABLE_OF_CONTENTS.html

If you're in the mid-Wilshire or Hollywood areas, I'd be happy to give you a
lift.

> And regarding sending things to bdfoy, what would be more gratifying
> than to see his module Tie::Cycle being put to good use and publicly
> presented?
>
> [4] I re-iterate my offer to give a socio-technical talk. That is, if
> you are going to meet in Silverlake, I can bring printouts of the slides
> based on the amount of reservations you receive and talk at the dinner
> table.

Absolutely - please do come and talk! I'm looking forward to it! If you are
in the general vicinity of Hollywood and need a ride, please let me know and
I can give you a lift. If you're coming from Burbank, well, we have some
folks up that way too if memory serves. :)
--
Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net
      illum oportet crescere me autem minui