[lapm] RE: [LA.pm] The odds of finger games

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Wed Mar 5 20:39:42 CST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 04:06:41PM -0800, ehammond at thinksome.com said:
> Erick Calder wrote:
> > if I'm making an http request from a domain, do I really care
> > which host is serving it?
>
> I always thought that HTTP host DNS resolution should have been
> handled in a manner similar to SMTP, with the option of using MX
> records to indicate which specific host(s) handle HTTP traffic for
> that domain.

Indeed, if such a modification was made to the DNS specs, I would be all for
it. It would at least make sense then, instead of the current scenario, where
most people expect it to "just work" when the fact that it works at all is
due to a particularly egregious hack.

> I fall into the practical camp instead of the theoretical camp
> on this issue.  Since "domain.tld" can resolve to an IP, and it's
> something that a lot of users type, I implement it and generally
> redirect the user to "www.domain.tld" for consistency.

As do I. :) I'm just pointing out, for the record, that this behaviour should
not necessarily be counted on as correct, per the standards.

> Of course, I redirect the other way from "www.notlong.com" to
> "notlong.com" because of the nature of the service.

*nod* as to shorl.com, tinyurl.com, xrl.us ... makes sense.
--
Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net
      illum oportet crescere me autem minui