[LA.pm] "Enterprise" perl for a game engine

Ask Bjoern Hansen ask at develooper.com
Mon Nov 4 17:49:23 CST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, James Pitts wrote:

> I have been working on specs for a project to write a massive
> multiplayer online role playing game in perl. These systems are
> usually written in C++ with a scripting component (Python, custom,
> etc.).
>
> An important aspect of an MMOG system is the ability to pool and
> route messages amongst active, persistent objects. I plan to use
> CPAN modules and a lot of custom code to put together a game
> engine, including Thread::Pool and Persistent.

I don't think I would use the perl 5.8 threads for anything large
scale just yet.  I have been using it for some smaller things, and
there are lots of issues.  It depends on how you use them of course.

[....]
> I'd like to know if there is anything that I have missed. Also,
> would it be possible to create a group of intercommunicating
> threads in mod_perl, all controlled from some sort of thread
> manager? I assume that it would have to be run with mod_perl 2.0.

It really all depends on what you are trying to do.  What interface
does the clients have?  How often do they update?  How much data?
What are the latency issues?  How much work does the server do?
etc etc.

:-)

  - ask

--