LA.pm: Meeting this weekend!

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Mon Mar 4 14:53:58 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:58:39AM -0800, jeffyoak at citysearch.com said:
> On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 11:45, Scott Francis wrote:
> >
> > (waiting for the first response asking "What's war driving?")
>
> What's "war driving?"

War Driving, n.: adapted from the 80s/90s hacker phrase "war dialing", war
driving consists of laptops running some form of UNIX, wireless cards, and
wireless network scanning software. Hackers will frequently drive around
areas known (or suspected) to be rich in wireless networks (university
campuses, for instance) running network scanning software that identifies
available networks, signal strength, encryption use, DHCP availability,
Access Point and node identification strings, and other pertinent details.

Some particularly useful tools are bsd-airtools (for BSD, not surprisingly)
and netstumbler (for linux).

bsd-airtools and other network scanning and WEP cracking tools are available
at http://www.dachb0den.com/projects/bsd-airtools.html. Netstumbler is
available at http://www.netstumlber.com (Windows-based). Linux tools can be
found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/wavelan-tools/  and additional articles
at http://www.netstumbler.com/search.php?topic=1.