LA.pm: la.pm map

Robert Spier rspier at pobox.com
Sat Sep 22 23:34:21 CDT 2001

I thought it would be neat to see how we (la.pm) is distributed
geographically around the region.  I'm going to do this with a service
called Tiger, provided by the Census Bureau.  [1]

In order to do this, I need to know where everyone lives and works.
Tiger takes Latitude and Longitude for it's coordinates, so thats what
I'm asking you provide.

How do you find out where that is?

The easiest way I've found is to go to one of these websites:

http://www.geocode.com/eagle.html-ssi
or
http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/gazetteer/
(The gazetteer will locate your zip code, which is close enough.)
or
Use Yahoo! Maps to find it.

A sample map, I did for a past employer, (after some manual cleanup)
looks something like this:
http://www.tarcweb.org/tarcweb/images/nj-nice2.gif

I figure I'll have red dots for "home" and blue dots for "work", or
something like that.  I won't divulge the locations you send me, and
the resolution of the map will protect your privacy.  A single dot
will cover a large area.

If you send me something like the following, I'll put it into a table,
and generate a map after I've got a few.

home: 34.186238 N 118.300898 W
work: 34.171746 N 118.323148 W

-R, curious.

Footnotes: