LAPM: next meeting

Scott Francis scott at virtualis.com
Wed Jan 10 11:01:52 CST 2001

well, I have a couple projects I'm going to be starting in the next
month or so, one of them will involve Perl directly, the other one not
as much.

Project 1: mobile mp3 player with 802.11b LAN for my car. I saw this
month's issue of Maximum Linux magazine while waiting in line at Fry's,
and that's the cover article. They totally broke it down in terms of
hardware, software and steps required, so I'm going to be building one
of these for my car. :) Similar to http://www.empeg.com, but in a
rack-mount case in my trunk, with a wireless connection to my home
network (see project 2) eventually for easy transfer of new mp3
material. Pick up a copy of the magazine if you get a chance - it's a
very cool project, and they have laid out in detail what's required.

Project 2: This one is a bit bigger in scope, and something I hope some
of you may be interested in. I intend to start a LA area (in the valley
first, and eventually over the hills into LA and the beach area) version
of the consume.net project. Please take 5 minutes and go read the FAQ
and intro at http://consume.net, and I think you'll quickly see why this
is such a cool hack. I hope to have my own wireless node set up and
doing omnicast from the roof of my apt. building in the next few months.
Then I can surf on my wireless LAN while I'm having coffee down the
street. :)

oh, and date/location has been announced for YAPC (if you don't know
about YAPC, get thee to http://yapc.org and read more) for this year.
w00t - I had so much fun last year that I'm requesting the time off
right now so there's no chance of missing it this year!

--
Scott Francis           scott@   [work:] v i r t u a l i s . c o m
                     darkuncle@   [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t