[Lexington-pm] Printing from perl?

David Hempy hempy at ket.org
Fri Nov 26 10:48:30 CST 2004

At 10:02 AM 11/25/2004, Janine Ladick wrote:
>> I'm a bit embarassed that I don't know how to do this, and a
>> bit surprised this is the first time I've needed to.
>>
>> I need to print a shipping label from a perl program on a
>> Windows box.
>>
>> That's it.  Nothing more.  Seems simple enough?
>
>Just curious...why do you need to use Perl to do this?

Umm...because I know perl?  :-)

That's a good question.  In fact, I considered using Visual FoxPro for its report printing.  I may do that yet.  Either way, I've got to build some new skills with one approach or the other...and perl generally works out better in the end.

>What kind of printer are you going to use?  If it's one of those dedicated
>shipping label printers, it might come with software and an API that you
>could interface with (perhaps from Perl) to get the job done.
>
>Are you printing barcodes, too?

It will be from a regular laser printer.  It probably won't actually be a label, but a sleeve in a DVD case.  We think we'll be shipping the DVD sleeve (the tall ones, like a shrink-wrap movie comes in) without an envelope or box...still waiting for an OK from the shipping department on that one.  If so, then one sheet will have the DVD title and the shipping address on one piece of paper.

If that doesn't work out, then we'll have both a sleeve insert and a printed label.  It might make sense to use a dedicated label printer at that point.

So...does anyone on the list do any printing from perl?

-dave

--
David Hempy
Internet Database Administrator

A firm grip on reality is not a critical component of happiness.