LPM: Programming Perl 3rd Ed for cheap?

Matt Cashner eek at eekeek.org
Tue Oct 2 16:56:14 CDT 2001

i'm going to say something really uncouth and probably heretical. but
since many of the elder gods of perl agree with me, i think i'm
justified.

for god's sake do not buy camel3.

let me repeat.

do not buy programming perl, the 3rd edition.

*looking around* ok. no lightning. why do i say this? the short story:
camel3 talks a lot about perl5.6. unfortunately, it talks about things
perl5.6 was *supposed* to do. most of the nifty things camel3 says
perl5.6 does wont actually happen until perl5.8 (maybe).

if you want to know about perl5.6, read the man pages. or even better
and handier, after doing an install from source of perl5.6, cd to the
pod/ dir and run ./roffitall -groff  .  this handy critter will generate
a nice postscript file of all the perl docs. print that out and you have
an upgraded camel2 :)

ok. i suppose i should get off my soapbox now, eh? :)

--------
Matt Cashner
Web Applications Developer
The Creative Group (http://www.cre8tivegroup.com)