LPM: "on break" processing in perl?

Joe Hourcle oneiros at dcr.net
Thu Jan 25 08:53:45 CST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, David Hempy wrote:

> I keep running into the situation where I am reading rows from a database,
> presenting the rows in groups and subgroups.  For example:
>
> select coursenumber, sectionnumber, ssnum
> 	from studentview
>
> This might return:
>
> CS101, 1, 000-00-1111
> CS101, 1, 000-00-2222
> CS101, 1, 000-00-3333
> CS101, 2, 000-00-4444
> CS101, 2, 000-00-5555
> CS117, 1, 000-00-1111
> CS117, 1, 000-00-9999
>

> I would like to display something like:
>
> CS101: 7 students
> 	Section 1: 3 students
> 		000-00-1111
> 		000-00-2222
> 		000-00-3333
> 	Section 2: 2 students
> 		000-00-4444
> 		000-00-5555
> CS117: 2 students
> 	Section 1: 2 students
> 		000-00-1111
> 		000-00-9999
>

> (Actually, I am usually plugging these into HTML tables, but the idea is
> the same.)

This is just the sort of thing that PHP and ColdFusion are for.
[Although it could be done in Perl, it never hurts to learn a few new
tricks].

I'm not familiar with all of the PHP syntax myself, but I know in
coldfusion you'd want:

<CFQUERY NAME="class_list" DBTYPE=ODBC DATASOURCE="cf_defined_datasource">
	SELECT coursenumber,sectionnumber,ssnum
	FROM studentview
	ORDER BY coursenumber,sectionnumber,ssnum
</CFQUERY>
<CFOUTPUT QUERY="class_list" GROUP="coursenumber">
(coursenumber heading goes here)
<CFOUTPUT GROUP="sectionnumber">
(sectionnumber heading goes here)
<CFOUTPUT>
(each record to display)
</CFOUTPUT>
(sectionnumber footing)
</CFOUTPUT>
(coursenumber footing)
</CFOUTPUT>

I'm guessing it'd be something rather similar in PHP.

-----
Joe Hourcle