LPM: Joseph Beth and future meetings

Mik Firestone fireston at lexmark.com
Wed Feb 14 08:37:15 CST 2001

As the speaker at the first meeting at the Olive Garden, it was difficult to
speak loud enough to be heard and not be shouting perl all over the
restaurant.  And I agree, Jo-Beth's new arrangements suck.  I might suggest
getting in touch with Lexington City Brewery - I know they have a seperate
room you can reserve.  I have no idea what that would cost.  Anybody else know
of a reasonable restaurant where we could get a seperate room?

I am willing to speak on any one of the following topics:
    1. SNMP ( simple network management protocol) - this will be a long and
       complex topic.
    2. Notify - a module I have created to provide a uniform way of printing
       debug, warning, error, usage and information messages.  This could be
       interesting because it is also a fair example of how to write one's own
       import() routine.
    3. I might be up to an Intro to Object Oriented perl.  Maybe.
    4. Strange games you play with fork() and signals - or - how to write your
       own parallel MP3 ripper :)  This would be mostly for the UNIX crowd - I
       know Win32 perl has a fork, but I do not know how stable it is.
Mik

Mik Firestone fireston at lexmark.com
When I become an Evil Overlord:
I will not interrogate my enemies in the inner sanctum-a small hotel well
outside my borders will work just as well.