LPM: Meetings and attendance

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Tue Feb 13 20:08:02 CST 2001

David Hempy wrote:
> Okay...hope I haven't pissed anyone off.  Just offering why my perspective
> for anyone who is concerned about attendance numbers.

No, not at all. But it is *exceedingly* hard to get people to give
talks. We're all doing interesting things with Perl (oK, some of us are,
others not so much), but not all of us are doing something that's really
worth talking about. I do a lot of CGI amd MySQL stuff. Whoopee. It's
hard to come up with things to talk about that are a) really
interesting, b) really useful, and c) which I'm enough of an expert on
to benefit anyone.

Frank's talk on Sys::Syslog was very useful. It was informative and
immediately applicable to anyone running a server or two. That sort of
talk is great. It was a "here's a module that makes my life easier"
talk. That's the sort of talk that most of us would be able to give with
a little thought. Some of the modules that I use I don't think much
about until someone asks a question on the list and I think, wow,
doesn't *everyone* use Mail::Sendmail. Or Time::CTime. Or whatever.

--
Rich Bowen <rbowen at rcbowen.com>
Come see me at Apachecon! -- http://www.apachecon.com/