Programs [was LPM: Meetings and attendance]

David Hempy hempy at ket.org
Tue Feb 13 11:05:43 CST 2001

At 08:47 AM 2/13/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 02:55:58PM -0500, David Pitts wrote:
>
> > Also, I would like to see what other people are doing.  Several
> > people in the group are good programmers.  Others, like myself, are
> > good hacks.  I would like to see some good programs - what makes
> > them good, etc.
>
>Actually, I think this would be nice to stimulate list discussion.
>How about folks say a couple paragraphs about a program they're
>working on, or have done in the past that is useful or neat?  We could
>post descriptions and links (maybe even programs) on the lexington.pm
>page.  And if there's interest they could develop into talks.

I'm game!  :-)

I've got a suite of programs that generate http://www.ket.org/pressroom.

In overview, the pressroom allows content providers to drop press releases
(as .RTF files) and images into an Inbox directory.  The system publishes
all these files to a Public directory in several formats and fully indexes
them.  The primary consumer of this information is media outlets, such as
newspapers.

Publishing includes:
o Locating releases and images due for publishing.
o Parsing out as much info from the release as possible.
o Ask the user to provide any info that could not be parsed. (airtimes, etc)
o Inserting that info about each release and image into a database.
o Converting the rtf into html.
o Resize each image into a range of sizes and file formats.
o Filling out several templates with the html and image information.
o Reformat the .RTF file and publish to the Public directory.
o Create the front page with upcoming releases.
o Create an archival index by week.  (Look under "Search")

If anyone wants to hear more about it, I'd be happy to talk about it online
or at a meeting.  I'm sure you guys will offer ways of doing things that
I'll slap myself for not thinking of.  I'm always eager to find better ways
of doing future projects.

I'm eager to hear what others are doing in perl.

-dave

--
David Hempy
Internet Database Administrator