LPM: hiding passwords in scripts

sungo at earthling.net sungo at earthling.net
Thu Sep 7 12:50:49 CDT 2000

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Frank Price wrote:

> Storing it encrypted seems ideal, but of course then the problem is
> decrypting it, since the script (really the server on the other side)
> requires the pw in cleartext.  The crypt() call will encrypt it just
> fine but can't decrypt an encrypted string.
>
> Anyone know of a good solution to this problem?  If there's a solution
> but no perl module yet, there's a project for us!

the rsa algorithm was released into the public domain yesterday. its a
public/secret key dealie like pgp but a lot more secure. no, there's
no perl module for it yet. encryption is deep magic. but hey, if
someone can explain it to me monosyllabically enough for me to grok it,
i'm all for trying :)

--------
Matt Cashner
Web Applications Developer