LPM: Static linking for DBD

Frank Price fprice at upended.org
Thu Nov 2 17:26:59 CST 2000

Hi -- I'm confused and need some general enlightenment.

Am trying to install DBD-Oracle.  It won't build, complaining about
linker errors (this isn't on linux, btw).  The README indicated I
might have to link it statically rather than dynamically, and gives
some indication of how to go about this.  Also says that I'll need to
build and install a statically linked DBI so the static perl w/ DBD
can find it.

So here's what I do:  already have perl built, using gcc, linked
dynamically.  I configure DBI with LINKTYPE=static, do make, then make
install.  Fine.  Now I do the same thing with DBD, but before doing
make install, I do make perl (which works), then make test
FULLPERL=./perl.  According to the docs this does the tests using the
statically linked perl I just built.  However, it fails.

Do I need to go all the way back and build perl to start with that
doesn't use dynamic linking?  Then do DBI and then DBD?  Anyone ever
done this?

Thanks much,

-Frank.
--