LPM: http auth help

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Sat May 27 12:03:27 CDT 2000

repett0 at sac.uky.edu wrote:

> OK.. my long struggle is coming to a close.  I have made a wysiwyg html
> editor.  However now I need to find out who is using it on what page.
> Heres the setup.
>
> 1) Everypage is linked to the html editor, there is an icon on everypage
> that says edit, when you click on it I want a log in to show up and you
> fill it in, if your able(permissin is ok) to edit then you go to the edit
> applet of that page.
>
> 2) What is an easy way to do this, multiple people will be able to edit
> multiple pages.  htaccess doesn't appear to do the job, and I cant get
> http auth using php to work either, so is there a perl or something else
> script that can help..

If you could perhaps be a little more specific, I expect I can probably
answer your question. I know a think or two about HTTP authentication.
When you said that it "doesn't appear to do the job", what exactly does
that mean? What is it not doing that you expect it to do? HTTP
authentication allows you to specify groups of users that have access to
particular things, whether you do this with ordinary htpasswd-type
files, or DBM files, or a MySQL or MSQL database.

Rich
--
Director of Web Application Development  -  The Creative Group
                                 http://www.cre8tivegroup.com/