LPM: perl 5.6 released

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Tue Mar 28 14:10:22 CST 2000

Paul Stackhouse wrote:

> 938 K?  Almost a Megabyte?  I'd like to see some speed
> benchmarks.

OK, I know I said I would not bug you any more today, but I thought that
this was worth passing along.

Benchmark: timing 1000 iterations of cooked, raw...
    cooked: 34 wallclock secs ( 0.25 usr  1.10 sys + 21.87 cusr 10.48
csys = 33.
70 CPU) @ 740.74/s (n=1000)
       raw: 70 wallclock secs ( 0.19 usr  1.11 sys + 58.81 cusr 10.48
csys = 70.
59 CPU) @ 769.23/s (n=1000)

As you can see, the cooked version (that is, the compiled version) runs
in less than half the time of the raw version. This is a simple one-line
"Hello World" program. I have no inkling of whether this would improve,
or get worse, with more complicated programs. Perhaps I'll be able to
tell you more later in the week.

Rich
--
http://www.ApacheUnleashed.com/