LPM: perl 5.6 released

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Tue Mar 28 13:15:35 CST 2000

Paul Stackhouse wrote:
> 938 K?  Almost a Megabyte?  I'd like to see some speed
> benchmarks.

It prints "Hello World". How fast does it need to be? :-)

But seriously ... Benchmarks indicate that it runs just a smidgen faster
than running "perl first.pl". There's one less file to load (actually,
several, if you use any modules) and you drop the compile and
interpreter phases. Remember also that perl itself is amost 800K, and
you've got the whole Perl runtime in the compiled program. I think.
That's the way I've heard it talked about.

I've yet to try this with anything non trivial. I expect that I'll play
with that some once I've tried it on Windows.

Ah. The download is finally complete. More later.

Rich
--
http://www.ApacheUnleashed.com/
Lexington Perl Mongers - http://lexington.pm.org/