LPM: perl 5.6 released

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Tue Mar 28 12:46:46 CST 2000

Rich Bowen wrote:

> Janine Ladick wrote:
> >
> > Yay!
> >
> > Is this the release that will have a compiler?
>
> Um, sort of ...

> /tmp/ccRdBXSU.o(.text+0x3279): undefined reference to `boot_DynaLoader'
> ERROR: In compiling code for test.pl.c !
>
> Um ... huh?
> test.pl is 40bytes. The generated test.pl.c is about 35k. But I'm a
> little lost as to what's going on in the compile stage there, and why it
> failed. Apparently I'm not the only one. Tom Christiansen posted a
> similar example to P5P a few days ago, wondering why it did not work.
> Perhaps we'll see some progress on this in the next few days.

OK, thanks to Tom Christiansen, we have the following work around. Seems
that perlcc is forgetting to load DynaLoader.a, and that it needs it
during the compile stage. You can make it remember to load DynaLoader by
adding a

use DynaLoader;

to your Perl script.
Now, test.pl compiles, and gives me a 938K executable called test,
which, when run, gives me

[rbowen at localhost /tmp]$ ./test
Hello World

Now, to see if it works on Windows.