LPM: RE: Regexps for email (and digression)

0x29A [B.Vandgrift] booberry at io.com
Wed Jan 26 14:05:17 CST 2000

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 ken.rietz at asbury.edu wrote:

=>I'm with Dave -- not a regex expert and confused about why you are
=>having a problem. The regex you give works for me. Well, almost.
=>My e-mail is ken.rietz at asbury.edu, which fails to find the full
=>username. I'd recommend changing the substitution to
=>
=>$inline =~ s/\b([\w.]+\@\w+(\.\w+)*\.\w+)\b/<a
=>href=\"mailto:$1\">$1<\/a>/g;

Actually, I ended up using [\w.-_].  I couldn't think of any other symbols
I've seen on a regular basis.  The problem was when the regexp was being
called (once for every key pair I was looping over, in fact), and was
fixed readily once my brain kicked in, and I got some lunch.

For reference, I used this line:
            {<a href="mailto:$1">$1</a>}igox;

It actually works quite well.  Thanks to all who responded.

--
Ben Vandgrift <booberry at io.com>              http://www.io.com/~booberry