LPM: RE: dbms

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Wed Jan 26 13:51:55 CST 2000

> we're trying to see if we can get out of using a non-perl database but
> mainatain machine independence.  we are currently using DBI to interface
> with pgsql which is nifty and fine. yes, if i had my way about it, we'd be
> using mysql. but our database programmer thinks otherwise. (she may be
> leaving us shortly.) anyway... is there some strange reason DBMs are so
> machine dependent? can this be overcome?

DBMs are machine dependent because the DBM libraries appear to be
implemented about 12 different ways, and build differently depending on
your machine architecture. I'm not aware of any way that this can be
overcome, but then, I gave up in frustration on DBMs early on in my
experimentation, because I could not find a good way to have them run on
Win32.

Rich
--
http://www.ApacheUnleashed.com/