LPM: ActiveState's PerlApp

John Soward soward at uky.edu
Tue Jan 11 14:08:42 CST 2000

Janine Ladick wrote:

> > > Does anyone care to share a success (or failure) story or know of
> > > ways other than PerlApp to create standalone Perl applications?
> >
> > The resulting exe is HUGE, but it seems to work just fine. It basically
> > has the entire Perl runtime in it, as well as whatever modules you used.
> > They had a free trial version for a while (not sure if they still have
> > that) and you could use it 5 times, or something like that.
>
> The trial last for 7 days, but they say you can continue downloading
> new keys until you've had enough fun for one lifetime and fork out
> the 95 bucks for a registered copy.
>
> I suspected the .exes would be big.  :-)  Did they run any slower
> than the original script?

Well, they launched a lot slower, once started the actual run-time
appeared approx equal. I found it had a few problems deciding what to
bundle into the .exe especially when you used several add-on modules. A
simple script using TK and the old Win32 module resulted in a ~5Meg
.exe,

--
John Soward
Lead Systems Programmer, Technical Services, University of Kentucky