LPM: DBI woes

David Hempy hempy at ket.org
Mon Feb 28 13:39:48 CST 2000

At 10:59 AM 2/25/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Janine Ladick wrote:
> >
> > > I think I'm convinced that this is some sort of bizarre problem with the
> > > MS Access driver. I certainly don't get this every-other behavior with
> > > MySQL. This code was just supposed to work on MS Access, and, of course,
> > > MS has chosen to do some things differently.
> >
> > David Hempy was having similar weird results with the OBCD driver
> > connecting to FoxPro databases.  I think his solution was to dump
> > DBI and go with something else...you might want to email him to ask
> > more about his solution.

I ended up doing the popular thing...blaming it all on Microsoft.

It seems their FoxPro ODBC driver is broken, in that it does not allow
values longer than 254 bytes, even if the data type allows it.  I found
several references and half-assed workarounds on deja.com, but none that
really resolved the problem.  Scouring microsoft.com, TechNet, and MSDN
yielded no *mention* of the problem, much less a solution.

Bastards.

There is another company (forget the name) that has an ODBC driver for
FoxPro for about $500, but their sales rep wouldn't tell me if it fixed the
problem, and I was too lazy and distracted by that point to download it and
try.

-dave

--
David Hempy