LPM: Running system() on a WinNT box

David Hempy hempy at ket.org
Fri Dec 22 12:48:49 CST 2000

At 12:40 PM 12/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>While Wesley's approach would work, I'm trying to move away from batch
>files as much as possible and indulge Perl as much as possible...

<snip>

>...but Windows NT's at scheduler or command line appears to limit the
>amount of characters you can use to 259 characters or so.

If what you're doing has to come from a batch file (starting Real Encoder,
if I recall), and things are just too darned complicated to gracefully pull
it all off on a command line, I would reconsider Wesley's suggestion:

>if the command to create the at job is static, put
>all the nasty stuff in a regular batch file

If the arguments are not static, you could generate a separate .bat file
for each job (named job0001.bat, job0002.bat, etc) and then have a simpler
task of scheduling those .bat files however you like.

Can a batch file delete itself?  If not, you could have some other
mechanism to tidy up the batch guano (nifty application for the "soon"
command)...or just let them pile up for months at a time and not worry
about it.

FWIW,
-dave

--