LPM: module reading group

Frank Price fprice at mis.net
Wed Aug 23 19:13:01 CDT 2000

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 07:17:39PM -0400, Matt Cashner wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Frank Price wrote:
>
> > As for a starting module, well... seems like we'd need something
> > complex enough that it isn't immediately comprehensible but yet
> > accessible to many different people.  I'd suggest something like CGI,
> > DBD, or POSIX (gulp).
>
> i'd advise against DBD and POSIX. DBI and the DBDs tend to be in XS and C
> which is going to be tough for those of perl bigots to discuss. :)  POSIX
> also is extremly unixcentric and as i recall our only access at KET is to
> win boxen so it would hard to test things using the module or demonstrate
> example code.

OK, good point, although they might also be the ones that you'll
understand best with group help.  I will anyway :-)  Maybe later.

> CGI.pm or CGI_Lite would make good starting points. CGI.pm is probably
> preferrable between the two because it is standard issue and we wont have
> to do a "how to install modules" talk for the uber-newbies. though maybe
> that's something we'll want to cover too.
>
> I've just been looking at the standard set for 5.6.0 and while there's
> some nifty stuff in there, there's not a lot that would be good for a
> first meeting. at least, imnho.

How about some of the Net::* modules, like Net::Telnet?  That works
under WinX, right?  Is it standard for 5.6?

-Frank.
--
Frank Price | fprice at mis.net | www.sxse.org/fprice/
GPG key: www.sxse.org/fprice/gpg.asc | E Pluribus Unix