LPM: content editor

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Tue Apr 11 08:08:24 CDT 2000

Joe Hourcle wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2000 repett0 at sac.uky.edu wrote:
>
> > I have asked this before, and got some varied aswers.. Ill ask again
> > before I break my neck coding.
> >
> > I need to make a non-html content editor.  Basically, I need a way for
> > someone to look at a website and there be a little link somewhere that
> > lets a user log into that page and edit content and then save it.  There
> > not changing the layout, just the content like hotel listings, phone #'s
> > etc....
>
> Well, from the sounds of it, it's something that's being built from a
> list.
>
> What I've done in the past, when I didn't think it was important enough to
> justify a true database, I'd give them ways of minipulating information in
> a flat file, and after they were done, call a program that'd parse that
> flat file, and output pretty HTML.
>
> Inserting files is easy, it starts to get trickier when you're dealing
> with editing existing records and deleting them is when you want to make
> sure that you're calling a flock() or something similar, and have
> something unique to key off of.

I wrote a little document a while back about text-file "databases". I
never finished it, but it has some good stuff in it.
http://www.rcbowen.com/imho/cgi-database/textfiles/index.html

See also DBD::CSV for a good text file "database" manager.

Rich

--
http://www.ApacheUnleashed.com/
Lexington Perl Mongers - http://lexington.pm.org/