LPM: content editor

Joe Hourcle oneiros at dcr.net
Tue Apr 11 07:26:22 CDT 2000

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000 repett0 at sac.uky.edu wrote:

> I have asked this before, and got some varied aswers.. Ill ask again
> before I break my neck coding.
>
> I need to make a non-html content editor.  Basically, I need a way for
> someone to look at a website and there be a little link somewhere that
> lets a user log into that page and edit content and then save it.  There
> not changing the layout, just the content like hotel listings, phone #'s
> etc....

Well, from the sounds of it, it's something that's being built from a
list.

What I've done in the past, when I didn't think it was important enough to
justify a true database, I'd give them ways of minipulating information in
a flat file, and after they were done, call a program that'd parse that
flat file, and output pretty HTML.

Inserting files is easy, it starts to get trickier when you're dealing
with editing existing records and deleting them is when you want to make
sure that you're calling a flock() or something similar, and have
something unique to key off of.

-----
Joe Hourcle