LPM: Reading from Excel with Perl

llang at baywestpaper.com llang at baywestpaper.com
Mon Apr 10 15:34:50 CDT 2000

Seems like Win32::OLE would be the better way to go.  I've never actually
used it, but my understanding is that you could access the cells directly
and read the data from them directly into your variables.

Loren Lang               Phone:    606-734-0538 x326
Network Administrator         Fax: 606-734-8210
Bay West Paper Corporation    email:     llang at baywestpaper.com

"Computers save time like kudzu prevents soil erosion." - Al Castanoli

                    ken.rietz at asbury.edu
                    Sent by:                    To:     lexington-pm-list at pm.org
                    owner-lexington-pm-l        cc:
                    ist at pm.org                  Subject:     LPM: Reading from Excel with Perl

                    04/10/00 03:40 PM
                    Please respond to
                    lexington-pm-list

Hi --

I was wondering if any of you have had experience trying to read
data from an Excel spreadsheet using Perl on a Win machine.
My initial thought is to use the ODBC interface. Is there any
better way? Is it going to be more frustration than it's worth?
I can currently export the data as tab-delimited ASCII, and pull
it apart with split, and it works fine. I was hoping to eliminate
the export step, though.

TIA

-- Ken Rietz