LPM: perl & c++

John Soward soward at uky.edu
Fri Apr 7 10:20:42 CDT 2000

David Pitts wrote:

> If I remember correctly (and I have been wrong more times than not the past
> week), Linux handles quotas based on file ownership and not location.  Can
> anyone validate this?

	Linux quota's are just like HPUX, FreeBSD, SCO, SGI, AIX, SOLARIS, and
others I've worked with. At least relatively recent flavors of Linxu on
i386, Alpha, and UltraSparc platforms. Quota's must be enabled on each
filesystem that you wish to limit or tabulate a users file useage on.
Obviously this implies that they are based on file ownership, but only
ownership on a particular filesystem. Thus if you have quota's enabled
on /users and /tmp is a seperate FS users can write whatever size files
they want in /tmp. Of course, you can simply set a users quota on both
filesystems. From a system administration standpoint this can be
problematic at times, for example on SAC.uky.edu there are lots of
student accounts spread across several file systems, if you established
quotas only on one file system, or the same quota on all filesystesm,
then two friendly users who's accounts reside on different file systems
could use excess space by letting each other write into an area of the
others account, so you have to give each user the correct quota for
their home filesystem and a quota of 1 (0 == no quota) on all other user
file systems. A combined quota system would create problems of it's own,
what would happen, for example, when an existing filesystem became
unavailable, or a new one were added.
	Also it appears that WinNT does not have any quota system, although
there are some 3rd party ones. But I have been told that Win2K does,  I
haven't tried out win2k since a long ago beta, so if anyone could verify
this I would find it usefull, and since this is a perl list, if anyone
knows if/how you can access/modify win2k quotas from perl, that too
would be useful...

thanx,
--
John Soward
Lead Systems Programmer, Technical Services, University of Kentucky