LPM: redirecting output

Mik Firestone fireston at lexmark.com
Mon Apr 3 07:56:16 CDT 2000

Yes, there is.  My preferred way is to used a piped open:

    open FH, "a.out |" or die "Couldn't open the pipe";

You can then read from this like a standard file handle.  The danger,
especially with an expected run time of hours, is a blocking read.  Make sure
you use select correctly and don't spin the loop too tight.

There is also a warning in the manpages to only use sysread when using select
loops.

Oh - there are ( of course ) other ways.  Do a perldoc perlipc and look for
the stuff on pipes.

Mik

Mik Firestone fireston at lexmark.com
When I become an Evil Overlord:
My pet monster will be kept in a secure cage from which it cannot escape and
into which I could not accidentally stumble.